We all know Valentine’s Day is about celebrating with the people we love… but this year, how about adding the most important person to your list – You! Of course, you want to look good for that hot date, but what’s the point in looking good if you don’t feel good?
Ready to get glowing inside and out this Valentine’s Day? Here’s how:
Drink more water
We know you’ve heard it a gazillion times, but water truly is radiance straight out of the tap and your first go-to when it comes to revealing your most kissable complexion. Hydrate your skin, improve elasticity and boost your skin’s appearance by drinking at least eight glasses of the good stuff a day.
No one said anything about giving up chocolate on Valentine’s Day (can you imagine?). But sugary foods take their toll on your skin, damaging cells and affecting collagen production. So, choose skin-loving dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (at least 70%); packed with vitamins, iron and calcium, it can replace lost moisture in your skin, nourishing it from the inside out.
Eat the rainbow
Brighten up lacklustre skin by eating plenty of antioxidant-rich fruit and vegetables. The more colourful they are – think carrots, tomatoes, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, kale, spinach, orange, mango – the more potent the nutrients, giving you a gorgeous glow and a kiss-me-quick complexion.
Exercise isn’t just great for our health, it’s great for our skin too. Treat a tired and puffy complexion to at least 20-minutes of exercise each day. Whether it’s running, dancing, yoga or whatever exercise you enjoy, you’ll be boosting blood flow and promoting circulation, keeping your complexion healthy and vibrant. Your skin (and your body) will thank you.
Get more sleep
Improve skin tone and banish those dark circles and puffy eyes by making sure you get your beauty sleep. Experts suggest eight hours a day, but you know what’s right for you. So, up that shut-eye for bright, petal-soft skin just in time for Valentine’s Day.
Give your skin a Valentine’s Day makeover with our multi-award-winning Gentle Exfoliant Pink, for a radiant, perfectly kissable complexion. Full of skin-nurturing oils- jojoba seed, grape seed, argan and avocado- plus our very own biodynamic spelt oil, you’ll reveal strokeably-soft and glowy skin, faster than Cupid’s bow.
Skin needing an extra boost? Well who doesn’t love date-night with skin that’s plump, moisturised and hydrated? Quench thirsty skin fast as you help diminish fine lines and wrinkles, with AEOS Skin Replenisher Cream Rich.
Caring for others and living with compassion is scientifically proven to make us feel good. And what better way to celebrate and honour the love in our lives than by opening our hearts with a simple loving-kindness meditation?
Practicing loving-kindness can do wondrous things for our hearts… like helping us to let go of old bugbears, and strengthening relationships – with others and with ourselves. So, whether you want to be in your most loving frame of mind for that date, or just want to show yourself some love, take the time in the run-up to Valentine’s Day (and beyond) to follow this simple technique.
- Find a quiet place and close your eyes, relax your muscles and take a few deep breaths.
- Imagine yourself experiencing complete physical and emotional wellness, and inner peace. Focus on this feeling and visualise yourself breathing out tension and breathing in love.
- In your mind, repeat the following loving-kindness phrases to yourself:
- May I be happy
- May I be safe
- May I be healthy
- Let yourself enjoy these feelings for a while. If your attention drifts away, gently bring yourself back.
- Begin to shift your focus to the loved ones in your life. Begin with someone you’re close to and start to feel your gratitude and love for them. In your mind, picture yourself saying the mantra to them:
- May you be happy
- May you be safe
- May you be healthy
- Hold onto these feelings for a while. When you’re ready, bring other important people from your life into your awareness, one-by-one and repeat the meditation. Then branch out to other friends and family, then neighbours and acquaintances, even people you see but don’t know.
- Next, extend the feelings of loving-kindness to people you may be in conflict with. Let go of any anger and resentment towards them, and picture them with perfect wellness and happiness. Repeat the mantra to them.
- When your meditation is complete, open your eyes and remember that you can revisit that wonderful feeling of loving-kindness throughout the day, with just a few deep breaths.
Source: Fredrickson BL, Cohn MA, Coffey KA, Pek J, Finkel SM. Open hearts build lives: positive emotions, induced through loving-kindness meditation, build consequential personal resources.1